Saturday, December 31, 2011

Graduate Student Barbie

Just like you, only crazier.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a blog post about Graduate School Barbie.  If you have gone to graduate school and have not yet read it, you really should.  It is brutally honest, still very funny.  For those of you who went the "Real Job Skipper" route, it will probably make you glad you made the decision you did.

I have finished up but a friend of mine (bless her heart) is still in the midst of the torture process, so I sent her the page.  We had some great laughs about the whole thing, but in particular, we enjoyed the following passage:
"Grad School Barbie's Medicine Cabinet comes in Fabulous (pepto-bismal) pink and contains Barbie sized bottles of Advil, St. Johns Wort, Zantac, and your choice of three fun anti-anxiety drugs! (Barbie Medicine Cabinet not available without a prescription)."
It reminded us of a very funny moment from school.  We were talking to a female professor about something, and for reasons that neither of us remember, the conversation turned to anti-anxiety medication.  I think we were joking about another student who we referred to as "needing a medication adjustment."  The professor seemed surprised that this guy was on meds.  My friend and I laughed and acknowledged that we were on medication, too. 

Our professor was even more surprised at this point, and asked "Are ALL of the grad students on medication?"

I don't remember which one of us said "All of the ones that are successful!" 

Ah, grad school.  We laughed and laughed.  And cried and cried.  Some of the best (and worst) years of my life, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment