Sunday, January 1, 2012

It's a New Year!

It is that time of year again when (almost) everyone decides to make New Year's resolutions.  I tend not to do that.  First, it requires a certain level of self-assessment that I prefer not to have.  Second, when I do (finally) notice something about myself that 'needs fixing', and I decide to fix it, I try to do it right away.  Granted, that doesn't happen nearly as often as it should.

Also, I am not big fan of setting myself up for failure.  Seriously, is that the way to start off a new year?

Instead, I prefer to focus on the positive.  I Googled "popular New Year's resolutions" for some ideas, and found a USA.gov site devoted to helping people find resources to achieve their goals.  There was a list of 13 popular resolutions.

Using that as a starting place, I have contemplated what each of these things means to me.  So, here goes...
  • Drink Less Alcohol. I am pretty happy with my current consumption level.  Let's leave that one alone, shall we?
  • Eat Healthy Food. I am all for eating healthy food, so long as it is balanced with an appropriate level of chocolate.  I am pretty sure I have found that balance, so I probably shouldn't mess with it.
  • Get a Better Education.  While I enjoyed grad school, there isn't enough medication in the world that would get me to go back.  See Graduate Student Barbie for details.
  • Get a Better Job.  I am pretty lucky here.  I kind of have my dream job.  Sure, I have days when it is tough to get out of bed, but it really is a pretty awesome gig.
  • Get Fit.  I have been pretty good about going to the gym 2-3 times a week, so if I can keep that up, I will be happy.  If I could increase that, yippee!
  • Lose Weight.  In my first year of marriage, I managed to put on 20 pounds.  Over the last 6 months I have taken it off.  If I can keep it off over the next year, that would be great.  If I could take off another 25, that would be divine.
  • Manage Debt.  My debt level is actually pretty good.  However, if I don't get a little more rigorous with retirement savings, I may need to work until I'm 80.  OK, maybe there is a serious resolution there.
  • Manage Stress.  If one defines 'manage stress' as not smacking anyone upside the head, no matter how much they deserve it, then I have managed my stress well.  If one defines it as not fantasizing about smacking anyone upside the head, then perhaps I could work on this one, too.
  • Quit Smoking.  I had my last cigarette in 1993, the day I found out I was pregnant with Boo.  Resolving to not start smoking this year seems like a safe bet.
  • Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.  I recycle 100% of my beer bottles, and most everything else that I can, so I am pretty good here.  I could probably reuse some bottles as redneck candle holders, though.  That reduce thing probably isn't going to happen.
  • Save Money.  Hey! I already covered this one!  Moving on...
  • Take a Trip.  Is it inappropriate for me to fantasize that this one is a solo adventure?  Or maybe just me and a gal-pal?  Drinking frozen margaritas?  Being served by a pool-boy named Juan Carlos?
  • Volunteer to Help Others.  Even I draw the line at being snarky about this one.
So there it is, in a nutshell.  My hopes and dreams for 2012.

4 comments:

  1. I'd totally take that trip with you. We already know we do pretty well exploring places together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That trip was great! We move at the same speed and like much of the same stuff. Remember the Edgar Allan Poe action figure? Great stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am signing up for the trip as well!! Call me anytime!
    I think most of these resolutions are ongoing in my everyday life (aside from the education thing... -10 desire to ever go back but my kids teach me things everyday, if that counts)... and I can use this list of a remind to keep up the work!
    On a side note your musing remind me once again that I think we were seperated at birth... just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Jeananna, I believe we WERE separated at birth! I really wish we lived closer. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete