Monday, January 9, 2012

Social Stories for Husbands

Every mom of a kid on the autism spectrum knows what Social Stories are.  Basically, they are used to improve the social skills of these kids.  (If you want more information, you can click here.)

Examples of Social Stories for these kids include things like how to act at a birthday party, what to expect when we go to the airport, what to do when we get mad, etc.

I have decided that "Social Stories for Husbands" should be my next project.  Here are some proposed titles:
  • When my wife has a screwdriver in her hand and is cussing like a trucker, do not casually ask (from the other room) "Everything going OK?"
  • When my wife is eating chocolate ice cream out of the container, and there is a box of tampons on the bathroom counter, I really should just shut up.
  • If I buy and use a calendar, I will be able to predict when my wife will be eating chocolate ice cream out of the container, there will be a box of tampons on the bathroom counter, and I will need to just shut up.
  • Why does my wife keep buying those little green anti-gas pills and leaving them on the counter next to my stuff?
  • When my wife asks what I want to watch on TV, and I say "Whatever," I should not complain about what she selects.
  • If I use my wife's tweezers to pluck my nose hair, she will yell at me.
  • Even if I mean it to sound nice, when I hug my wife around her waist, I should not say "I love your muffin top."
  • If I let loose a "silent-but-deadly", and try to blame a cute little 3-month-old kitten, my wife is probably not going to believe me.
Clearly this is a "Work in Process".  I am open to suggestions for additional Social Story ideas.

2 comments:

  1. He lets you choose something to watch on TV? Mine would be more along the lines of "I will not send my wife into an epileptic fit by changing channels every .00001 seconds". And the muffin top? OUCH. He definitely needs a behavior plan for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not give him a "heads up" that this was on the way. This morning, I was getting ready for work, and he commented again about how he loves my muffin top. I just looked at him and said "Yea, you need to read today's post." He did, and came back and told me "I don't care. I think everything about you is sexy."

    I have to give him credit, though. He still thinks I am just as sexy as he did in HS. Actually, he thinks I look better now. (I have bigger boobs.)

    ReplyDelete