Saturday, January 7, 2012

New Year, New Deductible *sigh*

Our system is broken and needs help.
I was on the phone yesterday morning with Kellie while I was driving to the pharmacy.  (Don't judge.  The car and the bathroom are the only places I get privacy.  Isn't the car the better option?)

Anyway, I was telling her that I was a little sad.  I had to pick up Boo's ADD medication, and since it is the first of the year, that meant no help from insurance until we meet the deductible.  She asked how bad it would be, and I told her that I think it was $267 last year, but once insurance kicks in it is $50 a month.  Still outrageous, but manageable.

When I was pulling up to the window I told her I would call her back once I was done crying over the cost.  Being the awesome friend that she is, she assured me that I could call before I was done and she would listen dutifully.  I love her :)

Since I am a pretty regular customer at the local Walgreens, I know the folks.  The kid who often works the drive-thru in the morning is a cutey and very sweet.  I told him that I needed to pick up Boo's medicine, and as he was typing everything into the computer, I told him "We haven't met the deductible yet, so I already know it is bad.  Don't sweat having to tell me the bad news."

About then, I guess the amount popped up on the screen, because his (cute) little eyes got huge and he just said, "Um, OK."

So, he grabbed the bag, rang it up, and I said "Let me guess...$267?"

He turned to face me through the window, sighed, and broke the bad news.  It wasn't $267.  It was $400.  Well, $405.  Actually, it was $405.89, but I guess we can round.

Then he asked if I still wanted it.  Of course I wanted it.  Boo needs it.

I gave him my card, gave a little laugh, and promised him that I wouldn't cry until I had pulled away from the window so he wouldn't have to see it.  He looked at me, gave a sad smile, and said "Thanks.  I really appreciate it."  Kind of made me wonder how often he has to deal with customers screaming or crying over the high cost of prescriptions.

The whole thing really bothered me, though.  I make a decent middle-class living.  I have decent health insurance through my job at a state university.  Still, over $400 for a one-month supply of just one of his medications.  For just one of our family members.

How many kids with health issues are not being properly medicated because their parents are part of the 10% of Americans who are unemployed right now?  Or because their parents don't have adequate health insurance?  Or because, even though their parents have jobs and insurance, they still can't afford $400 for a one month of a single prescription?

Some may argue that Boo's ADD medication isn't the same medical necessity that many other drugs are, and they would be right.  But, when not medicated, he lacks focus so much that he finds it difficult to complete tasks as simple as getting fully dressed, much less complete an assignment at school.  He can't function socially because he can't stay on topic in a conversation, makes lots of mouth noises, and has some pretty obvious (and annoying) moves.

Medicated, he is a successful student with great grades, a good reputation with his teachers, and just got accepted to college.  He has a few friends, and he is a manager for the school's basketball team.

Yes, I want the medicine.  He needs it to be a functional, happy person.  I am just grateful that for our family that is an option.

Author's note: It was pointed out that I forgot to include Kellie's quote: "Well, that's 400 more reasons for me to not have kids."  I apologize for the omission.  

2 comments:

  1. Ouch. Also: Holy crap. But you're right - if you CAN afford it, even if it hurts, you kinda have to. You see what it would cost him to do without, and as a mom, you just can't do that to him if you have any other option. Ouch ouch ouch. Shall we virtually drink a margarita in memory of your $405.89? (May it rest in peace.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be one mighty big margarita!

    I just can't help but think that if all of our kids had access to what they need, our education system would be so much better off. I should probably write a post about Boo's first grade class. It was an interesting ride.

    ReplyDelete