Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Letter to my Friend

Dearest Mike,

You befriended me when I was new to the high school.  I was 15 and had just moved from Germany.  For the next almost-30 years, you were one of the most special souls I ever met.

I have so many wonderful memories of you.

I remember sitting on the beach watching you and the guys surfing.  I learned from you what a surfboard leash is, and how to recognize the tell-tale tan line of someone who uses one.

I remember sitting on the ground watching you and the guys work on your Mustangs.  At one point, I think 4 of you had Mustangs.  I still think of you guys when I see a Mustang, particularly an old one.  Or a green one.

I remember us driving (too fast) on South Tropical Trail.  I knew it was a bad idea, but we got lucky and no one ever got hurt.

I remember that your mother had one of those quilted rooster decorations on the vent hood in the kitchen.  One time you put the rooster on your shoulder and got that goofy grin we all loved.

I remember eating tubes of raw chocolate chip cookie dough with you and Mark.  I had never seen it before I met you guys and I thought it was the best stuff ever!

I remember that when we would all raise our glasses and say "Prosit", you would say "Post Office".  It was a running joke, because you had misunderstood what was being said when you were a little kid.  When I got married last year and we toasted to old times, you said "Post Office" and we laughed.  It felt nice.

I remember how we would all joke about pulling up in front of the liquor store, you would take your shirt off, and fluff up your chest hair...you were never carded.

In high school, we partied on a pretty regular basis.  As people started going off to college, we got together every break when everyone came home, and it was like no one had been gone.

Slowly, people in our group graduated, got jobs that turned into careers, got married, and had children.  Some got divorced and remarried.  A few lost children.

We lost parents, including your mother.  She was so loved, by everyone, especially you.  You never seemed to recover from that devastating loss.

I don't remember when we started to worry about you.  It seemed to slowly creep up on us of all.  To know that you were slowly slipping away was heartbreaking.  We watched the demons eat away at your body, and your mind, but you always had that same beautiful soul.

I regret that I never told you how much you meant to me.  I'm sure you knew, but I should have told you. 

And now you are gone.

You are loved, you are missed, and you will never be forgotten. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, sweetie. That was lovely.

    I have Mike's autograph from when we were in Driver's Ed together. I don't really remember why, but I think there must have been some joke about "one day, I'll be famous, and this will be worth a lot of money." I kept it. It's in my photo album, next to a photo of Mike. He never did become famous, but we certainly will never forget him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose is putting together photos and keepsakes for the service. Do you have access to a scanner?

    ReplyDelete