Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Pez Fiasco

I do not remember when/how Boo got so fixated with Pez dispersers.  It seems like something my mother would have gotten him hooked on.

He had quite the collection, though, unlike this picture, his were in shoe boxes.  He would pull them out of the box, line them up, sort them by genre: superheroes, Star Wars, Disney, Christmas, cartoons...

He could sort, organize, and re-categorize all day.  Don't judge me.  I was a single parent in grad school.  It was better than parking him in front of a Barney tape.

He even liked the Pez candies.  He could never load them up in the dispenser, but if I loaded it for him, he was one happy kid.

One day, he was playing and eating his candy, when he suddenly started hollering.  He came running to me, pointing at his noise, trying to tell me something.

Yea, you guessed it.  He had shoved a Pez candy up one nostril.

Apparently, they are a perfect fit.  Going up.  Not so great to try and get out.

He was unable to understand as I was suggesting he take a deep breath, we could cover the other nostril, and he could blow it out.  (The kid couldn't even blow his nose when it was just boogers.  I don't know why I thought he could manage with a Pez up there.)

We was also getting upset.  Not just the normal panic about having an object up his nose, but his nose was starting to water.  If you are familiar with Pez, you know that when you put them in your mouth and they start to dissolve, they kind of fizz.  Well, when they mix with boogers, they REALLY fizz.  Which apparently kind of burns one's sinus.  It also causes a pastel foam to start pouring out the noise.

At this point, as my kid looks like he has some kind of weird 'nose rabies' I figured, what the heck, it looks like it will be dissolved enough to fall out on its own in a few minutes.  And it did.

We both sort of lost our taste for Pez for a while after that.

Though, "The Pez Dispenser" episode of Seinfeld still holds a special place in our hearts.


Jerry: Anyone who would laugh at a recital is probably some sort of lunatic anyway. I mean, only a sick, twisted mind could be that rude and ignorant.

Elaine: Well, maybe some mental defective put something stupid on her leg.

Jerry: Even if this so-called mental defective did put something on her leg, she's still the one who laughed.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe we have, so far, escaped the "shoving crap up your nose" right of passage. Maybe we just haven't gotten to that one yet. Crap. Now I have to start worrying about crap in my kid's nose.

    You're lucky it was Pez, and it dissolved on its own. My niece managed to cram tiny sticks into her ear. Twice. They don't dissolve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also lucky that he learned the first time, and there wasn't a second time!

    ReplyDelete