Saturday, January 14, 2012

Isn't There Always "Something Going Around"?

"Uh oh."
If Facebook is any indication, my household is the only one on the planet that hasn't had anyone throw up in the past couple of days.

I really hope I didn't jinx myself just now.

I do not miss the barf days.  Don't get me wrong.  Little kids are cute, but I did not enjoy cleaning up anything that used to be food...no matter what end it came out of.

I'm not sure if I got lucky and Boo threw up less than other kids, or if my brain is being kind and blocking out many of the memories.

The event that sticks out the most in my mind was a good learning experience.  Boo was about 5 and had not been well.  I set up the living room with all of the things that would make him comfy.  I threw a thick towel on the sofa (in case of accidents), a trash can on the floor next to him, and started playing whatever movie he was into at the time.  What could go wrong, right?

Boo got up for some reason, and while he was standing by the sofa, he started puking.  I still don't remember what possessed me to scream, "Run to the bathroom!", especially since there was a trash can right there.  But I did.

Being the occasionally compliant child that he was, he took off running.  Well, we had hardwood floors in that house, so when he projectile vomited, and then ran through it, not only did that make an even bigger mess, but he also fell in it.

So now, instead of just the misery of feeling sick, he is hurt from his fall, and is covered in puke.

I learned several lessons from all of this.
  • If you have hardwood floors, cleaning up one puddle is way better than cleaning up a path that leads from the sofa, through the living room, through the dining room, and almost to the bathroom.
  • Puke on hardwood floors is a safety hazard.
  • Never tell a vomiting child to run.
  • And, Kellie probably has one more thing to add to her list of reasons not to have kids.

2 comments:

  1. Man... The things they dont tell you about when you sign on to be a parent... Thanks for commiserating with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's face it...even if we knew what we were getting into, we still wouldn't have given it much thought when we were 'in the moment'. :)

    ReplyDelete