Sunday, December 4, 2011

Where IS Bikini Bottom?

Is it just me, or could he be trippin'?
Boo used to be a HUGE SpongeBob fan.  He probably still would be if I let him.  Time to let it go, kid.  Time to Let. It. Go.

One year, when he was still a fan, he was scheduled to go on a several-day field trip to a marine biology facility in southern Alabama.

Then, as often happens in life, a hurricane hit.  This time it was an actual hurricane, though, rather than just the random stuff life throws at you.

Since school was cancelled for the day, I had to take him to work with me.  Good times. 

My boss, attempting to make conversation with Boo, asked him if he was worried about SpongeBob.

Boo, looking at him like he was stupid, said "No. Why should I be?"

"Because of the hurricane.  Are you worried about Bikini Bottom getting damaged?"  (Let me interject for a minute here...is it really a good idea to plant the idea in a spectrum kid's brain that their favorite cartoon character might be in mortal danger?)

Boo: "Why would I be worried about Bikini Bottom?"  (About now, I was beginning to think that he had a better grasp on fiction vs. reality than I had originally thought.)

"Because of the hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico."  (Again, let it go, dude, before the kid loses it!)

"Bikini Bottom is in the Pacific Ocean.  Not the Gulf of Mexico."  (I had not recalled the cartoon ever mentioning the Pacific Ocean, but I didn't spend NEARLY as much time watching it as he did.)

Apparently, my boss was not aware of this geography either and said, "Really?  I didn't know that."

Boo, rolling his eyes and sighing dramatically, said "Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of SpongeBob is from Encino, California.  California is by the Pacific Ocean.  Therefore, Bikini Bottom is in the Pacific Ocean, NOT the Gulf of Mexico."  Then he walked off, apparently disgusted by the total ignorance of the people in his life.

As soon as he was out of earshot, we both busted out laughing.

For years after that, my boss used to tell the graduate students that story and say that as soon as they could defend their dissertation with that kind of logic and conviction, they were ready to get their Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment