Saturday, December 3, 2011

Why Gingerbread Sometimes Makes Me Sad


I grew up in Germany.  (It was West Germany at the time.  Yes, I am old.)  I am not German, but my dad was in the military.  Even as a kid I knew that it was a very special experience.  I met my husband there...a story for a different time. Anyway, over the past few years, I have reconnected with many of my fellow military brats through Facebook.  We talk about about where we are now in our lives (physically, professionally, emotionally, spiritually...), and we talk about what we miss most about living there.

 Recently a friend posted the following picture of me on Facebook:

Yes, I have always had a keen eye for fashion.
It was taken on the train, on our way to the Christkindlesmarkt in Nuremberg, Germany.  How do I know it was on the way there, and not back?  Well, I don't know for sure, but given all the candy I tended to eat while I was there, I suspect I was not smiling as much on the trip back.

Every year we took a field trip there.  We all went to the Bahnhof, piled on the train, there was always a big 'boombox' or two, and disco (yes, disco) would be blaring down the train.  I particularly remember "Good Times" by Chic.  Yes, those were very 'good times'.

When I was at Aldi the other day, I bought Dark Chocolate Covered Gingerbread.  Gingerbread, particularly if it is more savory than sweet, is a very German dessert.  It brings back a flood of sense-memories...Gluhwein, roasted nuts, Christmas carols, twinkling lights.

I know that while I look at that picture, eat my gingerbread, and hear "Good Times" in my head, I should be thrilled that I had such wonderful experiences in my youth.  And that I have managed to reconnect with my old friends so we can get nostalgic together.

Still, I can't help but get a little homesick.

I miss Christmas in Germany.  And I miss my friends.
*****

If you want to read more about the Christkindlesmarkt, below are links in both English and German.



These pictures are not mine, but they are beautiful, and much like I remember it...








2 comments:

  1. It's a holiday tradition in my house for my father to get all my girls, and now my granddaughters, Advent Calendars. He also loads me up on German Goodies too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! What kind of cookies? I can get some at Aldi, but not everything I like.

    ReplyDelete