Monday, December 12, 2011

My Christmas "Loves"

If I could fit this in my house, I would be a very happy woman!
I know it is sappy, but I LOVE this time of year.  I already discussed the Christmas of my youth, but I still get as excited as a kid about so many things.

I love the sounds...
  • the Salvation Army bell ringers in front of store.
  • almost all Christmas carols.  I especially love the older ones popular with carolers.
  • a house full of people laughing.
  • the glee of a small child when they finally spot Santa at the mall.
I love the smells...
  • Gluhwein, because it reminds me of walking downtown when I lived in Wiesbaden.
  • cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and pretty much any food that contains them.  Those are my favorite type of candle, too.
  • a real Christmas tree.  I hate vacuuming up the needles out of the carpet until February (or March), but I can't give up the way it makes my house smell.
I love the movies...
  • A Christmas Story ("You'll shoot your eye out!"  "It's a major award!")
  • Christmas Vacation ("Merry Christmas. Shitter was full." - best/worst movie line EVER!)
  • A Charlie Brown Christmas (I love Linus' monologue at the end.  Don't judge.)
I love the tastes...
  • candy canes, peppermints, peppermint bark, etc.
  • gingersnaps, gingerbread (especially a recipe that I have from my aunt.  I need to post that sometime.)
  • those Brach's hard 'ribbon' candies.
  • Terry's Chocolate Orange Ball (Milk Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Toffee Crunch...I'm not picky.)
  • warm apple cider, full of spice, especially if you can see cinnamon sticks and whole cloves floating in it.
  • sweet potatoes.  I figured I should add something nutritious to the list!
 I love the sights...
  • lights, of all kinds.  I like lights on trees, houses, professional displays, and even when a student just puts a string around their dorm window.
  • bright wrapping paper.
  • gingerbread houses.
  • the delightfully tacky things kids make at school and bring home.  (Maybe I can find a picture of the wreath my kid made out of toilet paper cardboard rolls.  Charming.)
I am feeling TOO warm and fuzzy now.  I guess next I will need to post about the things I could live without this time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment