Saturday, December 17, 2011

Christmas Sweaters

Actor portrayal.  Not actual teacher.
A couple of weeks ago I posted an article on Facebook about Gaudy Christmas Sweaters making a comeback.

Boo's teacher from last year (who is one of our most favorite people!) commented on the link, telling me that the special ed department at his school has an ugly sweater contest every year.  She won last year and had already gotten what she believed would be the winning outfit again this year.  There is apparently a trophy at stake and she wants to keep it in her room for another year.

I had to ask her (as I 'LOL'ed) how many of the kids even realized that the teachers were trying to look silly.  After all, this is a small, rural, Midwest town.  You can see some fairly ugly sweaters on the Walmart shoppers pretty much year round.

Then she sent me a picture of her wearing her 'winning' outfit.  Oh, boy.  It was pretty special.  The red sweater had giant snowflake happy faces and a faux-fur collar.  The read and white checkered skirt reminded me of a Christmas tablecloth at an Italian restaurant.  One of her colleagues commented that it was too bad the picture was not a full-length shot since the shoes 'made the outfit'.  I can hardly imagine!

Anyway, so while I was looking at the picture on my computer, Boo walked in.  He came over, saw the picture, and said "Hey, that's Mrs. V.  She got that outfit for Christmas last year."  Then he walked away without any further explanation.

While I was impressed that he remembered the outfit from last year, I had to laugh about how he said it.  As if she had received it as a gift, rather then wearing it as a joke.

I guess that's why we don't ask teenaged boys on the spectrum for fashion advice!

2 comments:

  1. My mother is the type to actually wear the Christmas sweaters that most people would buy as a goof. She still has ones from a store called Venture that went out of business like 20 years ago. She may be the only person who still has Venture merchandise. Major fugly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Venture! My mother doesn't do the Christmas sweaters, but she has a UNC sweatshirt that I would love to give to a shelter. Or use for kindling.

    ReplyDelete