Saturday, December 10, 2011

Track Him Through His Cell Phone? Not Necessary

Many parents of teens track their kids through the modern miracle of a GPS in their cell phone.  I do not know how to do this.  Despite my engineering degrees, I sometimes struggle with what I refer to as 'the practical application of technology'.  In other words, I can't figure out how to work the dad-gum thing.

I'm sure I could figure it out if I really tried, but I have never had the motivation.

Like most Aspies, Boo sadly has almost no social life.  This has improved tremendously, though, the past few years, as his teachers at school have encouraged him to become more involved in extra-curricular activities.  (See this post, towards the bottom, to see how much I love his teachers!)

Since he does not drive yet, I have to pick him up when he returns to the school after events.  He isn't very good at estimating an arrival time, so he texts me at specified points in the evening, such as when they get back on the bus, when they get off the interstate, etc.

So, last night Boo was at an out-of-town activity.  He texted me to tell me he was on the bus and had had a great night.  After a while, I was curious as to where they were, and he said that the bus wasn't moving yet.  Once they did get underway, he let me know.

Since my husband and I were out to eat, we wanted to get an idea of how much time we had left.  I decided to ask what Interstate mile-marker the bus was at, and I could estimate an ETA. 

This is what I got:


Yes, he was providing me with real-time data on his travel progress.

I would like to think that this was sarcasm on his part, but I don't really know.  Perhaps I don't really want to know!

Still, with details like this, who needs to use a GPS with him?

No comments:

Post a Comment