Saturday, November 26, 2011

How to Speak Aspie, Part I

When my husband moved here so we could get married, he had zero experience with Asperger's.  I had tried to explain it, but let's face it: on-the-job training is the only way to really get it!

A few days after the hubby moved in, Boo (15 at the time) needed to get some blood work done at the lab. I asked Albert to bring Boo from home and meet me there. I figured they could bond some in the car and I needed to work late.

When they pulled up next to me in the parking lot, Boo got out of the car with a can of soda in his hand.

Me: "Boo, you can't take a drink into a medical facility." (I pause to give Boo a minute to figure out what to do. It can take him a few seconds to process things.)

Albert, not realizing why I am pausing: "Just slam it, dude."

Boo looks at Albert a little oddly, says "OK" and proceeds to chuck the can to his feet, with great gusto. Then starts to walk away.

Albert's mouth falls open and he says "What the heck?!?!"

I laugh and say "Boo, he meant to chug it, not throw it to the ground."

Boo: "Oh, that makes a LOT more sense!"

Albert just stood there, shocked, while Boo picked up the can and put it in the car to be recycled.

He still has a lot to learn about living with a kid with Asperger's (don't we all?) but at least he has a good sense of humor, probably the most important part of the equation.

No comments:

Post a Comment