Monday, November 21, 2011

How important ARE senior pictures?

Recently, over here, there was a discussion about the 'beauty' of having your kid's picture taken at school.  I have been pretty lucky on this one.  When he was younger he loved it!  I have tons of pictures from the early years, where he is adorably cute!

Then came 'Middle School.'  Side note: what is it about middle school that turns perfectly pleasant children into the spawn of Satan?  Do they put something in the water?  Do the 8th graders, who have mastered the art of surly, pull the 6th grades aside and say "Let me share with you the secret to making your mother drink"?

But I digress...

Well, this is Boo's senior year, which means...Senior Pictures.  By this point in his life, he would prefer to be invisible most of the time, so you can imagine the look of glee and delight on his face as I broke the news about senior pictures.

Boo: "BUT WHY CAN"T THEY USE MY ID PHOTO LIKE THEY HAVE THE PAST FEW YEARS?!?!"

Me (using a remarkably calm voice): "Because when you graduate from high school, you send out announcements to friends and family and you put your picture in with it."

Boo: "ANNOUNCEMENTS?!?! Why didn't anyone tell me about this?"

Me (still calm, but it is becoming more difficult): "Probably because the subject never came up.  I promise it was not a vast conspiracy to keep you in the dark."

Boo (not noting the dripping sarcasm in my voice): "But WHY do we have to send out announcements?  What's the point?!?"

Me (just starting to lose it): "Because if you don't send out announcements, then no one knows that you are graduating, and you won't get any gifts."

'New' Boo, with a refreshingly changed attitude: "Gifts?  People send gifts?  What kind of gifts?"

Me (sensing a change for the better): "Cash, honey.  They usually send cash."

Boo: "Oh, ok.  Well I guess I can get pictures taken."

Fast forward to a few days before the photo shoot...

Me: "Boo, we need to get your clothes together for your pictures."

Boo: "I was just going to wear shorts and a blue shirt."

Me (with Spidey-senses tingling): "That will be fine, but we need to pick out several outfits.  We can have as many as 4 changes of clothes."

Boo: "WHAT?!?!  I HAVE TO HAVE SEVERAL SETS OF CLOTHES?!?!"

Me (wondering if there are exceptions to the no-drinking-before-5:00-rule that involve Aspies and senior pictures):  "Yes, Boo.  You do."

Boo: "WWWHHHYYY????"

Me (taking a page from The Big Bang Theory, a family favorite): "Because it is the social protocol."  (Don't judge.  It works for Leonard when he is talking to Sheldon.)

Boo:  "It is?  Are you sure?"

Me: "Yes, I am sure."

Boo: "OK"

Silly me.  I kind of thought it was settled at that point.  However, a few days later I went on the computer for something and the recent search history popped up.  I kid you not, the following had been researched rather extensively:
  • how important are senior pictures?
  • what are graduation announcements?
  • money for a graduation gift?
  • changing clothes for senior pictures?
Thankfully, all of the pages he had visited confirmed what I had told him, but as my dear friend Kellie pointed out, "Exactly how many times have you lied to this kid to make him verify the topic of senior pictures to this extent?"

Tune in tomorrow for 'the rest of the story...'

2 comments:

  1. You are such a "normal" mom! I did not get into senior pictures. I had one picture made, with the drape, but no silly shots with feather boas and the like. I think my mom did take me to have my hair cut and styled before, though. And back in 1996, at least on the MS Gulf Coast, they didn't do the "candid shots" with you leaning up against a tree. So, it's just me, with a black drape and some pearls. Needless to say, I didn't send out announcements, either. I wrote notes (yes, handwritten) to the friends/family that I wanted to attend my graduation. I probably only wrote half a dozen. I remember when my dad brought home a card with money in it from his co-workers; I really was genuinely touched. I'm not sure what my problem was (I'm sure whatever is is, I inherited it from my mother), but I'm certain this crazy behavior will one day be projected on to my son. We just can't be "normal" ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I did my senior pictures (a while before 1996!) 'the drape' was the only option. At least that is all I remember. I don't recall even having announcements, but I also don't remember thinking that was unusual. Very odd. Perhaps it will all come back during a therapy session!

    ReplyDelete