Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Big Reveal

If you missed yesterday's post on the run-up to senior pictures, you don't want to miss it!

So, for outfits...well, maybe some background would be helpful.  Boo tends to get fixated on things.  (So uncharacteristic for kids on the Spectrum, right?)  Sometimes this translates to clothes.  Back in elementary school he had back-to-back years with almost identical shirts.  In 10th and 11th grade, he wore different shirts, but they were both light blue, striped, button-up shirts over a white t-shirt.  Not really a significant difference.

A day or two before the 'big event' I asked about his selections.  After much negotiation, we wound up with 3 'outfits' (we were permitted up to 4), and I am using the term 'outfit' loosely.  He picked out the light blue, striped, button-up, long-sleeve from last year, a short-sleeve, medium-blue, button-up shirt, and a blue and white striped Polo.  All of these were partnered up with a white t-shirt underneath, tan cargo shorts, and tennis shoes.  Not really the wardrobe I had envisioned, but I could live with it.

As we head off to the studio for pictures, there was much 'discussion' (from him) about why we were heading to the one in the next town over, rather than their facility near our house.  "I don't know, Boo.  When I made the appointment they told me to go to the big place."

"But, can't they take my picture at the place near our house?"

"Maybe there are more backgrounds available at the bigger place."

"DIFFERENT BACKGROUNDS?!?!  WHY didn't you TELL me?!?!"

I swear, if it wasn't 8:00 in the morning, I would have packed a flask in my purse.

By the time we make the 10-15 minute drive to the studio, he is in a 'mood'.  We walk in, he sits on the sofa, crosses his arms, and takes 'sullen' to a whole new level.  I look at the lady behind the counter, think to myself, "What the hell...I'm paying them a bloody fortune," and tell her I am going shopping.  "See you in a hour!"

The actual shoot went pretty well.  Apparently the photographer was a 'whisperer' of sorts.  While we are finishing up, the lady behind the counter tells me about reviewing the proofs.  She explained that we will have a private viewing, the pictures will be in a slideshow, set to music, and displayed on a giant flat-screen monitor.  I pointed to Boo, who at this point has reached his limit, has his hands on his head, is moaning softly, and is rocking back and forth on the sofa.  I tell her, "No thank you.  It would really be best to not put him through that. We would just like to see a proof sheet."

She agrees, but that may have just been a tactic to make us leave.

Two weeks later, it is time for the big reveal.  I take Boo to a local fast-food place for burgers and frozen custard, and tell him about what they wanted us to experience while viewing the proofs.  His eyes got huge, as I quickly explained that they had agreed to just let us look at proof sheets.  "Oh, thankyouthankyouthankyou, mom!  There is NO way I could deal with that!"  For about 15 minutes he was my biggest fan.

Then we got to the studio.

We get shown back to the viewing room (and yes, I was already started to smell trouble), and what is on the big flat screen monitor?  Boo's face.  Set to music.  The physical sensation I started feeling at that moment was probably pretty similar to the Captain of the Titanic once he realized they had started taking on water.

Boo starts yelling at the poor woman, "My mom said there wouldn't be any music!  Turn it off!  Turn it off!"

The woman (who, in my defense, had been warned two weeks earlier) started messing with the mouse and was saying, "I don't think I know how!"

Boo, in a very condescending voice, starts saying, "Put the pointer in the bottom right corner!  Right!  I said 'right', not 'left'!  See the speaker?  The thing that looks like a speaker!  A speaker!!  Click on it!  Click on it!! I said 'Click on it'!!!"  By now, this chick is on the verge of a stroke.

On the bright side, they were so anxious to get rid of us that they let us leave with the proofs!  I took them home, got to view them with Boo (NOT in a slideshow set to music!) and all is well.  The pictures even turned out great.

The portrait studio may have even learned a lesson...when an autism mom tells you clearly what her kid's limits are...trust her.  She knows what she is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment