Saturday, March 10, 2012

Happy MeDay!

Hello, my dear friends!

Yes, it had been a month and a half since we last chatted.  For a while there, life got in the way of the blog.  I have missed you so!

After Boo's basketball season finished, we got all of the college admission/advising out of the way, and I wrapped up a major project at work, I had a self-declared MeDay.

That's right.  After weeks of being mom, wife, teacher, etc., I decided that for ONE DAY it would be all about ME.

For those of you unfamiliar with MeDay, here are the rules...(as I have declared.  They are not published formally, because I kind of made this whole thing up.)

1. Inform the family of the rules of MeDay.  (Then threaten bodily violence should they choose not to comply.)

2. There is no make-up on MeDay.  Unless you really want to, but seriously, it is MeDay.  Don't do it.

3. There is no errand-running on MeDay, except to buy things that you really want.  Not need, but want.  My hubby took me to the local used book store to treasure hunt, which is one of my favorite activities.  They must have know it was my MeDay because when I walked in a book I had been looking for was right there, front and center!  (Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office) 

4. Take a nap on MeDay.  

5. Rent a Chick-Flick on MeDay.  Or, in my case, finally catch up on "Up All Night" on the DVR box. 

6. Get a pedicure on MeDay.  (Mine had to be cancelled, because she had a sick child.  I substituted with a nap and more reading.  Still great!) 

7. Have your hubby take you out to lunch for MeDay.  Or a friend.  Or go by yourself and read a good book.  Whatever.  Just treat yourself.  Oh, and don't count calories.

8. Make sure you have your favorite beer/wine/moonshine on hand for MeDay.

9. Wear very comfy clothes on MeDay.  Those yoga pants worked beautifully while enjoying lunch, dinner, and beer.

10. The most important rule?  There is NO GUILT associated with MeDay.  

Moms (especially special-needs moms) tend to give, give, give, and give until we have nothing left to give.  Every now and then we desperately need to recharge our batteries.  And we need to send the message to our families that we are human.  We have needs.  We are not an unlimited service provider. 

My husband talked to Boo and explained to him how important this was to me.  In a rare, unprecedented move, they worked together to help make it happen. 

MeDay was great for all of us.  I got a much needed break, and the calming effects are still in place, even a week later.  Most importantly, I felt like I was truly appreciated.  I am in a better state of mind now.  MeDay put the whole family in a better state.

So, take a MeDay.  You won't regret it!

1 comment:

  1. I love the MeDay idea! I'll have to find a way/day to make it happen for me. Good for you for prioritizing your needs (or should that be wants) in with your family's. If you don't take care of yourself, you can't really take care of them, can you?

    ReplyDelete